The records of ownership for the property at 1012 N. Dearborn begin in 1874. Everything predating 1871, presumably, was destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire.

Here is the top of the first page of the available title records for the property, which consists of the south 1/2 of Lot 10, all of Lot 11, and the north 1/2 of Lot 12, Block 15, Bushnell’s Addition:

Here is what I have been able to make of this. George L. Dunlap sold the property to William Waller on July 11, 1874. William Waller died in 1880, and his son James L. Waller inherited the property. They sold the property to Mary A. H. Ferry on July 10, 1880. Mrs. Ferry died in 1906. In 1907, Gilbert McKinley purchased the property, later selling it to Hannah H. Maloney in 1918. Mrs. Maloney sold the property to David Adam in February 1921. Dave Adam was acting on behalf of the P&C, and the property has remained in the club’s hands ever since.

One key to understanding the history of the building and its prior residents is the renumbering of Chicago’s streets in 1909. Prior to that time, 1012 N. Dearborn was known as 336 Dearborn. Here’s a snapshot of Robinson’s 1886 Map of Chicago showing the corner of Dearborn and Oak. You can see our building in roughly the center of the picture (the buildings at 328 and 332 Dearborn, shown on the map, are no longer there).

The 1875 Chicago City Directory shows that William Waller was living at 336 Dearborn with James L. Waller–giving a date before which the building must have been constructed. It couldn’t have been built before 1871, obviously, or it would have been destroyed in the fire.

Old Mr. Waller died at home in 1880:

The 1880 census shows that James Waller (age 28), his wife and two children, along with his brother William Waller (age 22), and four servants (a black woman, Mrs. Russell, a female and male German, and Maggie Hynes, an Irishwoman) were living at 336 Dearborn. The census lists the occupations of the Waller brothers as “clerk in bank.” The census was taken in June 1880, after the death of William Waller, Sr. in March 1880.

The October 1880 Reversed Directory of the Elite of Chicago lists James L. Waller at 336 Dearborn. You can see George Dunlap at 328 Dearborn, at the corner of Dearborn and Oak where the parking garage currently stands.

The 1883-84 Reversed Directory of the Elite of Chicago confirms that Mrs. Ferry was by then living at 336 Dearborn:
Mrs. Ferry also appears in the 1885-86 Elite Directory.

It’s interesting to note that in the 1885-86 Directory there appears a new neighbor: 332 Dearborn, occupied by Robert W. Tansill. That would be Robert Weems Tansill, who made millions selling 5 cent cigars.

That’s enough for tonight. More to come.

Advertisements